- 5 melts
- 1 Small head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and ground pepper
- 4 Portobello mushrooms (stems removed), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 Red peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 Cup vegan mayonnaise (or regular mayonnaise)
- 1 Small garlic clove, crushed through a press
- 5 Thick slices of bread (we used silver hills squirrelly bread)
- 10 Thin slices of Gouda cheese
- 5 Tbsp Hemp Hearts
Heat broiler with rack set four inches from heat. On a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss broccoli with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil, tossing once or twice, until broccoli begins to char, 4 to 6 minutes.
Remove the broccoli from the oven and add mushrooms and red peppers to the sheet. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Broil, tossing once or twice, until vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Remove the vegetables from the oven and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine vegan mayonnaise and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Spread the vegan mayonnaise mixture evenly on each piece of bread and top with vegetables, then cheese. Place on baking sheet, and broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle one tbsp of Hemp Hearts on top of each slice of bread. Serve and enjoy!