Vanilla Coconut Yogurt Chia Pudding
- 1 1/3 cups vanilla coconut yogurt or store-bought unsweetened vanilla coconut yogurt
- 3/4 cup to 1 unsweetened plant-based milk, as needed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, to taste
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/3 cup chia seeds, plus more if needed
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1/4 cup 100-percent-pure apple juice (2 fluid ounces)
- 2 1/2 tbsp. pure maple syrup, more or less to taste
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp. ground chia seed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup 5-Minute Vegan Caramel, to taste (warm, not hot)
- 1 medium granny smith apple, thinly sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
For the Coconut Yogurt Chia Pudding
In a medium-sized airtight container, whisk together the coconut yogurt, 3/4 cup of the plant-based milk, maple syrup, and sea salt. Add the chia seeds and whisk until they're evenly dispersed throughout the liquid. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours to thicken.
Thoroughly whisk after refrigerating to redistribute the chia seeds. If it's too thick, whisk in more plant-based milk, 1 tablespoon at a time to thin; if it's too thin, whisk in more chia seeds, 1 tablespoon at a time, to thicken.
For the Apple-Cinnamon Compote
Add the apples, apple juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, and sea salt to a high-speed blender, and blend on medium-low until purÃ©ed, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. The texture should resemble thin applesauce.
You have two options for this next step. For a completely fuss-free fresh compote, go with option 1; for a richer, thicker, and heartier compote, go with option 2. 1) For raw compote: Transfer the mixture to a small mixing bowl, add the ground chia, and vigorously whisk to incorporate. Let stand for 10 minutes to thicken slightly. 2) For cooked compote: Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan, add the ground chia, and vigorously whisk to incorporate. Turn the heat on medium-low, and bring the mixture to a rapid simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the mixture begins to thicken and most of the excess liquid has cooked off. Remove from the heat and cool completely before assembling.
Layer the chia pudding, compote, and caramel into 4 small jars or bowls (I recommend two layers of each or 6 layers total). You can either top (see below) and serve immediately or cover/seal the parfaits as is, and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Just before serving, top each parfait with a few slices of the apple and 1 tablespoon of the Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts. If desired, finish with another drizzle of caramel.
Recipe courtesy of Blissful Basil.