Time: 2 hours
For the Protein Croutons
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sprinkle of sea salt
For the Hemp Seed Dressing
- 1/2 cup Hemp Hearts
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Manitoba Harvest Hemp Oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- 1 head romaine, chopped
- 1 bunch of lacinato or curly kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
To Make the Protein Croutons:
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Slowly pour in the chickpea flour while whisking continuously.
- Whisk in the garlic powder and sea salt, turn off heat, and whisk another minute or until smooth.
- Stir in the Hemp Hearts and chopped rosemary.
- Line a small (9x13) baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and use a spatula to spread it evenly across the pan. To make it easier to smooth out, spray both sides of a spatula with cooking spray or olive oil, and gently smooth out the batter.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Lift the parchment paper out of the pan, and slice the chickpea batter into equally-sized croutons.
- Spread the croutons out over a pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and toss to coat.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until crispy and golden.
To Make the Dressing:
- Add the Hemp Hearts, water, lemon juice, Hemp Oil, nutritional yeast, white wine vinegar, garlic, dijon, sea salt, and black pepper to a high-powered blender.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
To Assemble the Salad:
- Add the romaine and kale to a large bowl, pour the dressing over top, and toss to coat.
- Top the salad with as many croutons as desired, pomegranate seeds, and Hemp Hearts.
Recipe courtesy of Ashley from Blissful Basil.