Yield: 32 brownies
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp warm water
- 8 oz vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup Manitoba Harvest Ground Hemp
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 Tbsp Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts (hemp hearts can be toasted for a nuttier flavor)
- 1 ½ cup non-dairy chocolate chips OR roughly chopped chocolate pieces, divided
- Mix the flaxseed meal and warm water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and prepare two greased, 8" x 8” pans lined with parchment paper (cut 7” x 12”, one piece/pan).
- Melt the butter.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle, blend the melted butter and sugars together. Add the flaxseed meal/water mixture, and vanilla, mix until evenly combined.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add the Ground Hemp, salt, and baking powder. Stir/whisk until blended.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl until just blended – do not overmix.
- Add in half of the chocolate chips and the hemp hearts.
- Divide the batter equally between the two prepared pans and spread evenly in the pans with a spatula or your hand, spray the spatula or your hand with cooking spray if the brownie batter is very sticky.
- Sprinkle the remaining hemp hearts and chocolate chips on top of the batter and smooth out the top with a spatula or your hand.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, the brownies may not look done, but they will firm up once cooled. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then pull the brownies out, using the parchment paper and let cool for another 15-30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Brownies taste best the next day or two. Once the brownies have cooled, do not cut them, instead wrap and refrigerate them overnight.
- Two hours before serving, remove the brownies from the refrigerator and unwrap.
- Cut the cold brownies, 4x4 (16) per pan. Serve at room temperature.
- Well-wrapped, uncut brownies freeze well – up to 3 months.