Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients: Vegan Queso
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp - ¼ cup pickled jalapeños
- 1 tbsp brine from a jar of pickled jalapeños
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- Garnish with fresh jalapeños if desired.
Ingredients: Potato Pillows
- 3x medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2-3 tbsp 1-1 Gluten Free Flour
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Avocado oil for frying
- First make the vegan queso by combining hot water, hemp seeds, garlic, nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp pickled jalapeños, brine from pickled jalapeños and salt in a blender. Blend to a smooth consistency and taste. Adjust seasoning by adding up to 2 tbsp more of pickled jalapeños for more heat and/or more salt to taste. Set aside and garnish with fresh jalapeños.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. When boiling, add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain potatoes and put in a bowl.
- Use a fork to mash the potatoes until you have the consistency of mashed potatoes. Then, add the flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Use clean hands to mix together to form into a ball of dough.
- Flatten dough and cut into 4 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a 1-inch wide log and cut into 1 ½ inch pieces.
- Press down on each piece of dough with the tines of a fork.
- Drizzle avocado oil into a frying pan and turn to medium heat.
- Cook potato pillows on both sides for about 2-4 minutes each side, until golden brown on each side. You may need to cook in batches if your pan is not large enough.
- When done, serve with vegan queso as a dip!
- Store vegan queso in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.