Featuring fresh berries and mint, this recipe is perfect for summer events.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Makes 8 or 9-inch cake
Vegan Hemp Seed Cake
1 ¾ cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
¼ cup Manitoba Harvest Ground Hemp Seed
4 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
½ cup vegan butter (cut in small cubes)
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. vanilla paste
1 cup almond or plant-based milk
Whipped Coconut Cream
1- 400ml can coconut cream
1 ½ tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. vanilla paste
16 oz. fresh strawberries
6 oz. fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare one 8 or 9-inch cake pan with a parchment paper circle at the bottom.
- Transfer the coconut cream from the can to a medium-sized mixing bowl
- Using a hand mixer, whip the coconut cream until light and fluffy
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla, whipping until incorporated and medium peaks form
Bake the Cake
- In a large bowl, add the flour, ground hemp, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar, and vegan butter
- Using a hand mixer, whisk the ingredients together until the vegan butter is incorporated finely and the flour becomes a sandy texture
- Slowly stream in the almond milk, add the vanilla extract and paste
- Mix until just combined. Do not overmix
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan
- Bake for 30 minutes - test the doneness by inserting a toothpick and ensuring it comes out clean
- Remove from the pan immediately and allow to cool on a wire rack
- Before assembly, wash, dry and slice the strawberries and set aside. Wash, dry and set aside the raspberries as well.
- Once completely cooled, place a small spoonful of coconut cream onto a serving plate or board. Set the cake on top.
- Cover the top with a layer of coconut whipped cream. Let it fall over the sides to create a rustic look.
- Transfer the sliced strawberries and raspberries onto the cake. Have fun with it and create a beautiful pile of fruit on top!
- Top it off with a touch of fresh mint
Keep the cake in the fridge until ready to serve!
Store in the fridge for 4 - 5 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
- Add ¾ - 1 cup of coconut, white chocolate or extra spices to your cake to make it perfect for you.
- Use any fresh fruits or toppings you wish for this cake
- To make this gluten free, swap the all-purpose flour with a 1:1 gluten free flour blend
- To make cupcakes, bake for 16 – 18 minutes